12 August 2006

Cirque du Soleil is heaven on earth

Well, maybe that's a little much, but I find myself still floating after attending Thursday's Corteo show under the Grand Chapiteau outside the United Center in Chicago. Such beauty and grace, awesome physical power and precision, wrapped in a musical, metaphorical, and visual whirl of a feast. It's a marvelous escape. No wonder they can get away with the ticket prices...granted, we had good seats, but $91? Whew. Gotta sell some more books on eBay now. When I experience something so creative and invitingly presented, I find myself very close to being awash in tears. Maybe I'm a sap, but it's a great catharsis. Didn't hurt that the show was full of liturgical stuff, too, as it was loosely "about" a clown imagining his own death and funeral cortege (corteo). I'd like a funeral like that, please. And the tightrope walker attended by three graceful, beautiful and so comforting-looking angels? "He will give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways..." Thurifers censing the stage, which was a rotating labyrinth? Cirque du Soleil rocks.

No comments: