04 April 2007

PowerPoint and reading in church get slammed

A lot of my editing job involves creating, proofing, and fiddling with PowerPoint presentations. And at church we can read along with the Bible readings in a booklet. So there are two reasons why this article is interesting to me. A third reason is that I'm fascinated with theories of learning and instructional design. So do I think this theory - cognitive load theory - is right? Well, it certainly seems to make sense, even the bit about how giving students answered problems to study is a good thing. I can struggle with a problem that's supposed to help me learn a concept, and if I solve it, that may be an effective learning experience. But I'll learn the concept faster if I can see the problem solved and then get to work on one like it.

1 comment:

Derek the Ænglican said...

Sounds like Augustine's explanation for the existence of difficult Scripture passages--we remember even basic truths better the harder we've worked to find them...