23 May 2007
15 May 2007
Here's Chris with an important post on the Office as missing link. Here's Derek with an equally weighty one on the Office in the Roman Catholic Church, and pointing out a highly informative article on the Office.
Both very much worth reading. I resonate strongly with the idea of the Office, with its common thread of the praying of the psalms, as a much-underappreciated ecumenical link. True, non-Roman Catholics can't receive Communion in an RC church, but we can certainly pray the Office together if we're willing even to think of that option.
14 May 2007
09 May 2007
Tripp lists his history of worshipping communities and asks for ours. I'll list mine here and link this to a comment over there. Fascinating to have a glimpse at these places again via the Web.
- Our Lady of Good Hope, Milwaukee - where I was baptized
- Base chapels at Fort Benning, Georgia, and Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri? - I'll have to ask my mother.
- West Bend, Wisconsin - I'll have to ask Mom on this, too; I'd be guessing.
- St. Mary's, Hales Corners, Wisconsin - I think we went back and forth between here and St. Leonard's.
- St. Leonard's, Muskego, Wisconsin - All I remember is bashing my head on the doorjamb on the way in.
- St. Irenaeus', Rochester Hills, Michigan - the church I grew up in and in which I was confirmed
- Resurrection Parish, Lexington, Ohio - during our year in Ohio (ninth grade for me)
- St. Andrew's, Rochester, Michigan - where I sang in the choir for a while during high school
- St. John's Student Parish, East Lansing, Michigan - attended here through most of my college years
- St. Thomas Aquinas', East Lansing, Michigan - decided the music was better here; sang in the choir
- Saron Lutheran Church, St. Joseph, Michigan - during my year of teaching in Berrien Springs
- Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Traverse City, Michigan - during my year of teaching in Traverse City
- St. Philip's Episcopal Church, Rochester, Michigan - for several years; vestryman, warden
- All Saints Episcopal Church, East Lansing, Michigan - for something like 12 years; vestry, choir
- Church of Jesus Christ, Reconciler, Chicago - a blessed respite for some months; hope to visit again
- Church of the Ascension, Chicago - 2002 to present. Vestry, acolyte, officiant, teacher, delegate