21 July 2007

Harry Potter and the hordes of tourists

I'm afraid Harry Potter is another cultural phenomenon that has passed me by, although I did catch up on Twin Peaks after the series ended, so perhaps the final Harry Potter book is my cue to get on board.

I was in both Borders bookshops in central Chicago today, and both were playing intense, sweeping, epic-sounding orchestral music over their sound systems. Barber, I wondered? Or who was that other guy who wrote the big epic film scores? Bennett? It took me far too long to figure out that the music had to be a Harry Potter soundtrack. Every so often an "associate" would announce that another box of the new books was being opened for sale to those who hadn't reserved one, in addition to the books set aside for those who had. Long lines formed immediately.

Gorgeous day to be walking out there among the happy tourists. I love doing that. I enjoy helping people who ask for directions, provided they ask for something I've heard of or are not hopelessly positioned to get where they intend to go. Feels nice to live in a place that has many, many tourists. Helps me re-appreciate everything that's available here and not take it for granted.

1 comment:

The young fogey said...

I'm afraid Harry Potter is another cultural phenomenon that has passed me by.

Good to know I'm not the only one.